December 16, 7:30 p.m.
Purposes and Uses
The purpose of the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is to recruit and retain medical, nursing, and behavioral/mental health clinicians with specific training and credentials to provide evidence-based SUD treatment and counseling in eligible communities of need designated as Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). The information that applicants supply will be used to evaluate their eligibility, qualifications, and suitability for participating in the NHSC SUD Workforce LRP. In addition, information from other sources will be considered (e.g., credit bureau reports and National Practitioner Data Bank reports).
Which loan repayment program fits me best?
Compare our NHSC loan repayment programs — then choose the right one for you.
Determine Your Eligibility
Do I qualify for the NHSC SUD Workforce LRP?
Yes, you qualify:
- If you work at a SUD treatment facility with a Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA) score that would ordinarily be too low to qualify for NHSC funding.
- Using either your NHSC-approved treatment facility’s Mental Health or Primary Care HPSA score.
Am I eligible for an NHSC SUD Workforce LRP award?
Yes, as long as you are:
- A United States citizen (U.S. born or naturalized) or the United States national;
- A provider (or eligible to participate as a provider) in the Medicare, Medicaid, and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program, as appropriate;
- Fully trained and licensed to practice in the NHSC-eligible primary care medical, dental, or mental/behavioral health discipline and state in which you are applying to serve;
- A health professional in an eligible discipline with qualified student loan debt for education that led to your degree;
- Working at an NHSC -approved SUD treatment facility with a Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA) score that would ordinarily be too low to qualify for NHSC funding; and
- Using either your NHSC-approved site’s Mental Health or Primary Care HPSA score.
Are military reservists eligible?
Yes. Find out about specific guidelines and requirements for military reservists.
Which disciplines and specialties are eligible?
We offer awards to providers who use evidence-based treatment models to treat substance use disorders. Evidence-based SUD treatment helps fight this epidemic through specific eligibility.
You must be trained and licensed to provide SUD treatment at NHSC-approved evidenced-based SUD treatment facilities.
How To Apply:
We guide you through the application and award process:
To apply, you must understand and follow our requirements.